
I'm really looking forward to this film. Why? Because it stars a man I highly admire, Mel Gibson. Yeah, I know the guy's not really all there upstairs but there should be absolutely no doubt in your mind that he's an immensely talented film maker. Face it, the guy's a genius. I may not have enjoyed Apocalypto as much as others but I'd be a damn fool if I didn't admire the work Mel did behind cameras. With a better script one has no doubt he would have delivered a perfect film.
But Jesse, Mel didn't direct this film. This is true, but it's his first starring role since his public breakdown and thus an important one. Something about this script told Mel that this was the one to bring him back into the public eye. The one which proves to everyone including himself that he's still got it plus more. Mel doesn't need money, he's got an island to himself for Christ's sake! Clearly he's not going to attach himself to any project floating around Hollywood, but to a strong, clear, thought provoking script, one he deems worthy of his talent. At least one would hope that's the case.
Now, the film is directed by Martin Campbell of Casino Royale fame which I admired, but more for its script and serious tone than its directing. Anyone with a clear head could have directed that film. I'm not saying the guy's a bad director, just that I've yet to see anything from him that says to me that he's an artist rather than just a guy for hire. This became completely obvious to me upon learning that he was the man behind the mind numbing Zorro pics. But this isn't just another Zorro. This is a remake of Campbell's own BBC miniseries, which gives me another reason to hope this project is good. It's personal.
Yes, it's completely possible that Mel attached himself to a mediocre script full of action and suspense just to win back the hearts of the majority of film goers (let's face it, most people have terrible taste) but I'm hoping, really hoping this isn't the case. Early reviews on Rotten Tomatoes say it's a pretty solid film with few flaws (80% approval). Fantastic for a film released in January, a time when studios usually toss their garbage our way. When more reviews come in later in the week I hope they'll continue to be on the complementary side.
So... who wants to see this with me?


howz about beer, pizza, and edge of darkness for a happy ending?
ReplyDeleteThat reads like you're giving me an option other than a regular happy ending. If that's the case I say no my good man.
ReplyDelete