
This week I've found myself watching one mildly exiting, yet mind numbingly dumb film followed by a surprisingly entertaining action sci-fi phenomenon.
Having worked on "The Incredible Hulk" and having seen it countless times without sound, I had absolutely zero desire to view it. The film seemed to offer nothing for me; I'm an "art house" kind of guy. I'm in it for thought provoking story, human emotions, escapism, not stuff blowing up. Yet for some reason I found myself watching The Incredible Hulk during a state of absolute boredom. I was actually very surprised with the first 15 min, it wasn't a bad as expected and Edward Norton didn't really bother me as much as I had anticipated. But then the film let me down in a big way.
I'm a huge admirer of Ang Lees' version; some found it boring and too talky, I found it to be a perfect blend of art house and action. This film is all action. I felt as though the "talking" scenes were merely there to set up the action scenes. By the time the film reached its halfway point my eyes started to wander away from the screen. And when the inevitable showdown between two giant Hulks in Harlem, New York (which by the way, feels nothing like Harlem) came around, I really didn't care about anything or anyone in this film. I went from slightly liking the film to just wanting to throw it out the window. Blah.
That same day I found myself equally bored, and rather then doing something productive I popped in Star Trek (2009). Not a bad film.
As most of you probably know, this is a reboot of the series; only difference with this reboot is it actually doesn't throw any of the past events from the series out the window. Rather, they came up with a way of combining the two.
It's not a great film, but I was very entertained by it, short comings and all. The film suffers from a few unnecessary action sequences and one very bad comiedic scene involving Kirk and his hands. But the film does a good job of picking its self up. In my eyes, there's really just one major flaw that might occlude you from enjoying it, and that's the whole old Spock and young Kirk meet-up. It's completely absurd and leaves you with a very disgusting WTF taste in your mouth.
Incredible Hulk: 2 out of 5 stars
Star Trek: 3 out of 5 stars


No comments:
Post a Comment